Sunday, June 12, 2011

Barthelona, Part Dos

What a great city!  This was the perfect way to spend some of the last few days of our European journey.  Many things about our time in Barcelona were not typical of the rest of our trip.  We had the pleasure of staying in Peter's awesome new apartment, helped him settle in with a trip to IKEA, and even got to spend some time exploring the city with Yuri & Salina.  What a treat!  We ate some excellent food (as usual), tried kangaroo meat for the first time (loved it), and got caught in a torrential downpour with Yuri & Sal while being touristy one afternoon.  It ended up being a good excuse to pop into a bar for yet another round of beer & ham.  :)


Other highlights-
The huge St. Josep's market- full of beautiful fresh fruits, the most amazing seafood, and yes, more ham.  The aromas in the market are my favorite part.  From the fresh fruits, to the cheeses, to the seafood that smells deliciously strong like the ocean, I found myself taking giant sniffs to soak it all in.

The Gaudi architecture- it's like nothing else, and reminds me of a Dr. Seuss book.  I wonder what fun imaginative things went through his mind.  We trekked up the hill to experience the amazing views and artwork of Park Guell, and toured one of his buildings that housed an apartment he lived in.  I love the unconventional style and creativity of his designs.




Inevitably, all good things must come to an end, and although our European holiday isn't entirely over yet, it's winding down at a rapid pace.  We've had an overall incredible time, and have SO many more stories and photos to share.  It's been quite an experience that we'll never forget.  We feel very grateful, and yet also ready to head home- refreshed, renewed, and excited for our next chapter, whatever it may be.  Muchas gracias, Barthelona!

1 comment:

  1. I want to duplicate this exact trip!!! Ahhhhhh I'm so incredibly jealous of your trip! I finally have some free time (Raleigh and Steve are out and about) to catch up on blogs and just spent the last half hour staring at your photos and reading the blog entries about your amazing adventures through Europe. Your trip looks like a once in a lifetime experience, but I hope for you two that you're able to go back and do a similar adventure in the not too distant future. I would love to catch up when you get back and hear more details. My parents are coming over for dinner tonight so I'll be leaving your blog up so my mom can take a look :)

    ReplyDelete