Tuesday, October 22, 2013

SPOILER ALERT: It's a.....

...BOY!!  

Despite the fact that neither one of us had a preference for the gender of our baby, it's still wild and exciting (and a little mind-blowing) to actually know what it is.  I'm so glad I have this time to get to know our little guy, and to imagine what it might be like to have a son.  One thing I know for sure, this kid already has family that love him to pieces.  

We received a hilarious email from Peter (baby boy Backus's one and only true uncle), and I just have to share it:

"I am sure you guys have some names you already like but I have some suggestions (my feelings won't be hurt if you don't use any of these):

Tartlet
Robocop II
Russel Wilson
Lancelot
The Badger
Samuel L. Backus
Massasaurus
Hot Pants
Mabroney
Sandwich

These are obviously first names.

I am so happy for you guys. This is super exciting and I promise I will be a really good uncle. If you want I can have the following "big" talks with him:

1.  Why we don't take full diapers off by ourselves

2.  Walking: why it's awesome

3.  High fives and fist bumps: when, why and how to avoid

4.  You are 13 now, part I: why all your friends are having bar mitzvahs

5.  You are 13 now, part II: Time management for adolescent levels of masturbating or Why you really need to take a break sometimes

6.  Legos: 5 places on your body NOT to put them 

7.  Theories on your father's shoulder hair

8.  The only two rules you need at 18: Always use a condom and never drive drunk

9.  Be nice to your little brother or sister or both. Honestly, life is way more fun when you get along

10.  On why even though you think your parents are totally lame and embarrassing, they are actually pretty cool

11.  Being from a short family, part I: reaching stuff

12.  Being from a short family, part II: Dating taller girls

13.  Uncle Pete's 8 rules for a happy life

Each talk will obviously be accompanied by a powerpoint presentation and a reading list. "

I have to say, I feel so lucky to have such a great brother-in-law, and this little man is going to be so lucky to have him as an uncle.  Despite the many miles between us, I hope these two get lots of time together.  

A photo at 20 weeks (taken about a week ago), marking the halfway point

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud and then quickly closed my laptop as I read this during class and didn't need an 8th grader reading Peter's rules :)

    ReplyDelete