Sunday, October 6, 2013

18 weeks...and a few days

Dear Little One,

I think I felt you kick for the first time yesterday.  Up until now I haven't been sure, feeling strange sensations that could be mistaken for gas or other things happening in my digestive system. But yesterday, for the first time, I was sure.


I was sitting out by the pool in beautiful Maui, soaking in some very welcome Vitamin D and reading a book.  It was so peaceful and I felt very content- the only sounds were the palm trees gently swaying in the breeze, and the background noise of Mass and our friends having breakfast in the kitchen. 


I felt a teeny tiny little jab- like a punch or kick generated from the smallest little limb, toward the front of my belly, what seemed like a couple inches below my belly button.  It startled me, then I instantly felt it again, confirming that I wasn't imagining things.  This time, unlike the others, it didn't feel like gas or something moving through my GI tract. I'm pretty sure it was you; our mango-sized bundle of joy, saying hello, putting a smile on my face, making me feel more blessed than ever.

I've been waiting for this moment- another sign that things are going well, progressing as they should be.  A bit of reassurance to calm the occasional worry that creeps up from time to time.  I haven't felt the same thing again since, only the questionable swimmy "is-there-a-goldfish-in-there" feeling, but I'm looking forward to those stronger and more frequent calisthenics from you, our new favorite person that we haven't yet met.  I'm excited for the day that your dad gets to feel your movements too, and we can experience more of this bizarre yet awesome miracle of nature together, as your two biggest fans.


We love you oodles already,
Your overly emotional....Mom.



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this! Feeling your baby in your belly is the best feeling in the world! And no better place to experience it first than while in paradise. xo

    ReplyDelete